Pages

August 12, 2010

Sweet Sixteen!


Lucas is just over 2 weeks old now, so we had our 2 week check-up yesterday to see how he's doing. He has gained 1lb. since last Monday and is now 9lb 6oz and it shows! You'd be surprised what a whole pound can do for someone so small - his little cheeks are not so little anymore and we are getting oh so close to being out of the newborn dipes and into our fully stocked closet of size ones.

I took a video with our flipcam (thanks Aunt Shannon!) of Lucas sleeping to show the nurse practitioner his tremors he has when he's napping. She called in another doctor to check it out and they both recommended we take the video to a neurologist to have a specialist take a look to rule out anything serious like seizures. They were nice enough to call for us so we could get in this week and sure enough, I got a voicemail at 8:00 this morning asking if we could be there by 12:30! The neurologist said he isn't concerned about the tremors and has seen the twitches before. As long as we can wake him up out of them, they are not seizures and we shouldn't worry.

Just to be absolutley sure nothing weird is going on, we also had an EEG done. They stuck about 25 little wires on Lucas' head with some sticky paste while Derek held him. I took a few pics with my phone of the after hairdo he was left with (and we were left to scrub off his tiny head while he screamed!) The wires monitored his brain activity for 30 minutes or so while he slept and we'll get the results soon.



The pediatrician yesterday also had us make an appt. for an ultrasound of his hematoma to make sure there was no fluid anywhere else around his head. We went for that early this morning and the ultasound told us nothing because there was too much fluid to see beneath the hematoma so they suggested a CT scan. We waited for about an hour for them to call our pediatrician to get it approved, but then had to leave to make it to our neurology appointment on time. Thankfully, the neurologist approved the CT scan so we didn't have to wait any longer to get a hold of our own pediatrician and could get it all done in one day. We'll find out those results in the next few days too.

We are crossing our fingers that they find nothing wrong with Lucas. His hematoma is pretty impressive - all the doctors have said as much and they are all surprised that he wasn't vacuumed out - usually that's what causes such a big bump. The neurologist reassured us that it will calcify (harden up) and eventually will go away (his body will absorb it). He had me feel the far outer parts and we could tell that it already is starting, but it could take a few months especially since it's so big. In the meantime, I may make a small investment in some hats! I can't seem to stop myself from 'explaining' his big bump everytime someone stops over or admires him in his carseat. I assume they are staring at it and wondering what's wrong with him. So I apologize in advance if I do that or have done that with anyone! As of now, we are just thankful he has so far been given a clean bill of health. He's eating well, growing quickly and is so content and easy to take care of. We are obviously very anxious to hear the results of the EEG and the CT scan from today, but Derek keeps telling me that we won't worry until they give us something to worry about. I'm very happy Derek is so level headed AND that he was able to to take the day off to come with us to all these appointments. I don't know what I would have done on my own. Especially with trying to feed and change Lucas in some interesting places over the course of 9 hours away from home... parking ramps, waiting areas, etc. It was definitely a 2 person job and I'm so happy he was there with us.

So there's the update! Keep Lucas in your prayers that nothing suspicious shows up in the test results and that his head continues to heal! Thanks!

1 comment:

Howard said...

He is SO cute. Thanks for the update! We've been thinking of yall and praying a lot. What a trooper he is... and you and D, too! Glad you could squeeze it all in to one big day.