I think Derek and I have both gained 200% more knowledge in the past 3 or 4 days than we had before. We took an all day "preparing for childbirth" class on Saturday which was good to hear about all the medications and know when to go to the hospital, what to bring, etc.
We also took the tour of the hospital I'll be delivering at and we decided it's more of an office building/hotel mix rather than a hospital...not a bad thing! It's super nice and they make it so simple and non-intimidating. There are 8 labor and delivery rooms, 2 c-section rooms, and a ton of post-partum rooms. All the rooms are private and have giant flat screen tvs that have cable (yay!), movies, music channels, relaxation channels, and "informative" channels on how to take care of a baby. They also each have a nice pullout bed, giant whirlpools in the bathrooms, etc. They promote "rooming in" with your baby so you get to have your baby in your room as much as you want or you can send him to the little nursery across the hall to get some sleep. There was only one tiny little girl in there when we passed by, so cute and fun to see! Basically the place is awesome and we will be bummed to only be there for 48 hours, assuming all goes as planned. It'll be a mini vacation with the minor additions of coming home with a baby and experiencing the worst pain of my life...:)
Derek has mastered the side street route to the hospital and it takes maybe 6 or 7 minutes to get there. Even though I know labor is a little more lengthy process, it's nice to know we're so close.
I have another doctor appointment this Friday (with Mpls/St. Paul's #1 OB/GYN I might add) and then I'll start going every week in July. It's hard to believe it's only a matter of weeks until he gets here!
Not so hard to believe for people that I work with though because today I was asked by the mailroom guy if I had the baby yet. Let me point out that I am CLEARLY pregnant. I waddle, no clothes fit me, I have bags under my eyes, swollen ankles, and can't see my feet. He was looking right at me and asked because he saw a big Congrats, it's a boy! sign in my cube leftover from my work baby shower. Boys.
Anyway, we also are working hard (or hardly working?) on the baby's room. We set up the crib on Sunday night and I've rearranged a bunch of times already. I can't decide how I like it so my guess is it will be a work in progress until the big guy arrives. Derek's main contributions to getting the room ready have been putting money in the Green Bay Packers bank and putting together a baby bouncer. Oh, and donating his troll doll to the toy basket. I guess I'll have to get a little more bossy once I make up my mind how to set it all up. My guess is he is just doing his best to avoid my moodswings....smart kid. :)
We are both excited to head to Waukesha this weekend for the baby shower at his parent's house, although I'm predicting double digit rest stops on the drive there! Maybe that's exaggerating a little much, but it sure feels like I'm making a beeline for the bathroom more often than not. All in a day's work!
No comments:
Post a Comment